BEMVS is proud to support the charities RSPCA (ACT) and rescue organisation ‘Heavy Horse Heaven’ as their chosen charities. Services are provided at minimal cost (or no charge) to those horses that require veterinary treatment in their greatest time of need. All horses under the care of these organisations also receive a health check and dental examination/treatment at no cost.
Olivia and her family are involved in Murrumbateman Pony Club and Olivia is the current nominated horse welfare officer.
BEMVS participates in the school work experience program as well as taking veterinary undergraduate students for clinical rotations during their final years.
Recent talks/demos to community organisations include:
- dental demonstration at a pony club zone rally day in Canberra
- a talk on conformation and conformation faults at the Arabian Society’s training day
- dental talk and demonstration at a clinic run by Anna Matterson
- promoting the RSPCA and veterinary dental care for horses in the Canberra Times (December 2010)
- promoting Heavy Horse Heaven in the Queanbeyan Chronicle (November 2011)
- promoting Equine Dental Vets (www.equinedentalvets.com.au) at Equitana 2011
- tutoring veterinarians in equine dentistry workshops 2010, 2011, 2012
- Invited speaker at ‘Inspiring Leaders in Agriculture’ for the RIRDC Horizon Scholars July 2012
- lecturing at the Veterinary Nurses Council of Australia on equine veterinary nursing at the conference in Canberra in 2012.
- Giving vet lectures and attending to horses at Zone 16 Pony Club Camp, 2013 (Bungendore)
- Invited speaker at the Australian Veterinary Association (AVA) Annual Conference presenting on Equine Dentistry, Cairns 2013.
Recent sponsorship committments;
- Canberra Royal Polocrosse Club sponsor 2011, 2012, 2013
- Murrumbateman Pony Club Showjumping Festival fundraising auction 2011, 2012, 2013
- Heavy Horse Heaven fundraising morning tea and Auction 2012
Olivia is also the mentor for a veterinarian who is studying for their ANZCVSc memberships in equine dentistry, and spends a portion of her time each year teaching equine dentistry to veterinarians in workshops. More recently Olivia has been nominated to sit on the committee of the Australian Veterinary Dental Society and is the current ACT state respresentative. She also serves on the committee of the ACT Division of the Australian Veterinary Association and is a past president.
Please contact us if you are a community organisation and would like to request more information about BEMVS providing talks/demos to your organisation.